68. Valeria M Juarez, Alyssa N Montalbine, Ankur Singh. Microbiome as an immune regulator in health, disease, and therapeutics. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, In Press (2022)
67. Liana Kramer, Hannah W. Song (equal 1st author), Kaiya Mitchell, Mythili Kartik, Ritika Jain, Victoria Lozano Escarra, Enrique Quiros, Harrison Fu, Ankur Singh*, and Krishnendu Roy*. Lipid Membrane-Based Antigen Presentation to B cells using a Fully Synthetic Ex Vivo Germinal Center Model. Advanced NanoBiomed Research, Accepted, In Press (2022)
* Co-senior authors
66. P Graney, Z Zhong, S Post, I Brito, A Singh*. Engineering early memory B-cell-like phenotype in hydrogel-based immune organoids. J Biomedical Material Research- A, (Accepted, 2022).
#2022 Mid Career Award – Society for Biomaterials
65. Kibaek Choe , Yusaku Hontani , Tianyu Wang, Eric Hebert, Dimitre G. Ouzounov, Kristine Lai , Ankur Singh , Wendy Béguelin, Ari M. Melnick and Chris Xu. Intravital three-photon microscopy allows visualization over the entire depth of mouse lymph nodes. Nature Immunology (2022, In Press).
64. Mosquera, M. J., S. Kim, R. Bareja, Z. Fang, S. Cai, H. Pan, M. Asad, M. L. Martin, M. Sigouros, F. M. Rowdo, S. Ackermann, J. Capuano, J. Bernheim, C. Cheung, A. Doane, N. Brady, R. Singh, D. S. Rickman, V. Prabhu, J. E. Allen, L. Puca, A. Coskun, M. Rubin, H. Beltran, J. M. Mosquera, O. Elemento*, and A. Singh*. 2021. ‘Extracellular Matrix in Synthetic Hydrogel-based Prostate Cancer Organoids Regulate Therapeutic Response to EZH2 and DRD2 inhibitors’, Advanced Materials, 2022, 34 (2), 2100096.
63. J Elmore, C Carter, A Wood, N Koylass, A Bennett, M Mead, M Ocasio , W Huang, A Singh, A August. Itk independent development of Th17 responses during Hypersensitivity pneumonitis driven lung inflammation. Submitted.
62. A Singh*. Eliciting B cell immunity against infectious diseases using nanovaccines. Nature Nanotechnology, 16, 16–24 (2021) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41565-020-00790-3
61. L. Fontan Gabas, R. L. Goldstein, G. Casalena, M. Durant, M. R. Teater, J. Wilson, J. M. Phillip, M. Xia, S. Shah, I. Us, H. Shinglot, A. Singh, G. G. Inghirami, and A. Melnick. Identification of MALT1 Feedback Mechanisms Enables Rational Design of Potent Anti-Lymphoma Regimens for ABC-DLBCL. Blood, 137 (6): 788–800 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.2019004713
Commentary by Leibniz Prize winner, Dr. Jürgen Ruland: Synergy of MALT1 and mTOR inhibition in DLBCL, Blood, 137 (6): 724–725 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.2020008465
60. H Scholze, R. E. Stephenson, R Reynolds, S Shah, R Puri, S D. Butler, V Trujillo-Alonso, M R Teater, H van Besien, D Gibbs-Curtis, H Ueno, S Parvin, A G Letai, S Mathew, A Singh, E Cesarman, A Melnick, L Giulino-Roth. Combined EZH2 and Bcl-2 inhibitors as precision therapy for genetically defined DLBCL subtypes. Blood Advances, 4 (20): 5226–5231 (2020). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2020002580
59. TA Wheeler, AY Antoinette, MJ Kim, MCH van der Meulen*, A Singh*. T cells Mediate Progression of Load-Induced Osteoarthritis. Pre-print @ BioRxiv: https://bit.ly/3dgqYxU
58. A Singh, M Lutolf. Breaking the Barriers in Engineering Organoids and Tissues with Advanced Materials. Advanced Funct Mater, 30(48), 2008531 (2020).
57. Graney P, Lai K, Post S, Brito IL, Cyster JG, Singh A* (2020). Organoid Polymer Functionality and Mode of Klebsiella Pneumoniae Membrane Antigen Presentation Regulates Ex Vivo Germinal Center Epigenetics in Young and Aged B Cells. Advanced Funct Mater, 30(48), 2001232 (2020).
56. A Singh*. Materials modulate immunity and gut microbiome. Nature Materials, 19 (1), 3-4 (2020).
55. K Wellmerling, C Lehman, A Singh, B Kirby. Microfluidic chip for label-free removal of teratoma-forming cells from therapeutic human stem cells. Journal of Immunology and Regenerative Medicine 10, 100030 (2020).
54. P Balasubhramaniyam, A Singh, C Xu, A Lal. GHz Ultrasonic Chip-Scale Device Induces Ion Channel Stimulation in Human Neural Cells. Scientific Reports, 10, 3075 (2020).
53. S Kim, S Shah, P Graney, A Singh*. Multiscale engineering of immune cells and lymphoid organs. Nature Reviews Materials, 4, 355–378 (2019). Free link: NIH
52. M Mosquera, S Kim, H Zhou, T Jing, M Luna, J Guss, P Reddy, K Lai, C Leifer, I Brito, C Hernandez, A Singh*. Immunomodulatory nanogels overcome restricted immunity in a murine model of gut microbiome–mediated metabolic syndrome. Science Advances, 5 (3), eaav9788 (2019).
Cornell Chronicle: Nanovaccine boosts immunity in sufferers of metabolic syndrome
50. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: T cells, the last samurai against humoral rejection in lung transplants. Science Translational Medicine. 2019, 11 (475), eaaw5313
49. T Oeschger, D McCloskey, V Kopparthy, A Singh, D Erickson*. Point of care technologies for sepsis diagnosis and treatment. Lab on a Chip 2019,19, 728-737.
48. A Purwada, S Shah, W Beguelin, A August, A Melnick, A Singh*. Ex vivo synthetic immune tissues with T cell signals for differentiating antigen-specific, high-affinity germinal center B cells. Biomaterials. 2019;198:27-36.
47. F Apoorva, A Loiben, S Shah, A Purwada, L Fontan, B Kirby, A Melnick, B Cosgrove, A Singh*. How Biophysical Forces Regulate Human B Cell Lymphomas. Cell Reports. 2018, 23, 499-511.
Cornell Chronicle: Immune-engineered device targets chemo-resistant lymphoma
46. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Send in the decoys: Cell-like particles ameliorate inflammatory autoimmune arthritis. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (459), eaav0341
45. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Convection-enhanced delivery of drugs for deadliest pediatric brain tumors. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (451), eaau7382
44. P Desai, R Schneider, M Jaiswal, A Purwada, A Singh * and A Gaharwar*. Self-assembled, Ellipsoidal Polymeric Nanoparticles for Intracellular Delivery of Therapeutics. J Biomedical Material Research- A. 2018, 106(7), 2048-2058. *Co-Senior Authors
43. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Charting the course of metastatic cells. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (467), eaav9142
42. A Singh*, I Brito, J Lammerding. Beyond Tissue Stiffness and Bioadhesivity: Advanced Biomaterials to Model Tumor Microenvironments and Drug Resistance. Cell: Trends in Cancer. 2018, 4(4), 281-91.
41. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Bactericide hydrogel prevents orthopedic implant infections. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (443), eaau0463
40. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: Targeting a conserved epitope: A new chink in malaria’s armor. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (435), eaat3890
39. A Singh*. Editor’s Choice: No one is naïve: Young infant’s immunity can dodge Darwinian selection. Science Translational Medicine. 2018, 10 (427), eaar7530
38. W Beguelin, M Rivas, M Fernandez, M Teater, A Purwada, D Redmond, H Shen, M Challman, O Elemento, A Singh* & A Melnick*. EZH2 enables germinal center formation through epigenetic silencing of CDKN1A & an Rb-E2F1 feedback loop. Nature Communications. 2017, 8(1), 877. *Co-Senior Authors
Cornell Chronicle: Group uses organoid to explain immune cells’ rapid response
Nature Cell Biology (2018): Organoid Research Collection
37. R Stephenson, A Singh*. Drug Discovery and Therapeutic Delivery for the Treatment of B and T cell Tumors. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017, 114:285-300.
36. J Guss, M Horsfield, F Fontenele, T Sandoval, M Luna, F Apoorva, S Lima, R Bicalho, A Singh, R Ley, M van der Meulen, S Goldring, C Hernandez. Alterations to the Gut Microbiome Impair Bone Strength and Tissue Material Properties. J Bone Miner Res. 2017, 32(6):1343-1353.
35. F Apoorva, T Pierpont, D Bassen, L Cerchietti, J Butcher, R Weiss, A Singh*. Lymph node stiffness-mimicking hydrogels regulate human B-cell lymphoma growth and cell surface receptor expression in a molecular subtype-specific manner. J Biomedical Material Research- A#. 2017, 105(7):1833-1844.
#2017 Young Investigator Award – Society for Biomaterials
34. S Shah, A Singh*. Creating artificial lymphoid tissues to study immunity and hematological malignancies. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2017, 24(4):377-383.
33. A Singh*. Biomaterials innovation for next generation ex vivo immune tissue engineering. Biomaterials, 2017, 130:104-110.
32. A Purwada, S Shah, W Beguelin, A Melnick, A Singh*. Modular Immune Organoids with Integrin Ligand Specificity Differentially Regulate Ex vivo B Cell Activation. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. 2017, 3 (2), 214–225.
Cell Press’ Molecular Therapy: Tailored Organoid May Help Unravel Immune Response Mystery (Volume 25, Issue 2, p305–306, 1 February 2017)
31. A Purwada, A Singh*. Immuno-engineered Organoids for Regulating the Kinetics of B cell Development and Antibody Production. Nature Protocols, 2017, 12, 168-182.
National Science Foundation: News From the Field – Tailored organoid may help unravel immune response mystery
Contagion: Engineers Tackle Growing Threat of Infectious Diseases – by Brian Dunleavy
30. S Shah, A Singh*. Cellular Self-assembly and Biomaterials-based Organoid Models of Development and Diseases. Acta Biomaterialia. 2017, 53:29-45.
29. A Singh*, K Roy*. Immuno-engineering: The Next Frontier in Therapeutics Delivery. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017. 114, 1-2
28. A Purwada, Y F Tian, W Huang, S Deol, A August, A Singh*. Self-assembly Protein Nanogels for Safer Cancer immunotherapy. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2016, 5(12), 1413-1419.
27. P. Madasamy, G. Lokhande, A Singh, A. K. Gaharwar. Engineered Nanomaterials for Infection Control and Healing Acute and Chronic Wounds. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2016, 8 (16), 10049–10069.
26. D Holyoke, Y Tian, M van der Meulen CH, A Singh*. Osteoarthritis: Pathology, Mouse Models, and Nanoparticle Injectable Systems for Targeted Treatment. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016, 44(6), 2062–2075.
25. Y Tian, H Ahn, R Schneider, S Yang, L Roman-Gonzalez, A M Melnick, L Cerchietti, A Singh*. Integrin Presenting Hydrogels as Adaptable Tumor Organoids for Malignant B and T cells. Biomaterials 2015, 73:110-119.
ASME: “Fighting Lymphoma in Three Dimensions”, by Eric Butterman
Cornell Chronicle: “3D Organoids allow tests of lymphoma treatment”
Lymphoma News Today: “3-D Organoid for non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Expected to Greatly Aid in New Treatments”, by Bruno Castro
24. A Purwada, M Jaiswal, H Ahn, T Nojima, D Kitamura, A Gaharwar, L Cerchietti, A Singh*. Ex vivo Engineered Immune Organoids for Controlled Germinal Center Reactions. Biomaterials, 2015, 63, 24-34.
2015 Biomaterials Outstanding Paper Award by Elsevier
Discover Magazine: 100 Top Stories of 2015 (#63) (Published in Jan/Feb 2016 issue)
The Scientist Magazine: Orchestrating Organoids: B cell Balls
Futurity: “‘organoid’ makes antibodies without a body“
Cornell Chronicle: “Engineers’ synthetic immune organ produces antibodies“
23. F Cayrol, M.C. Diaz Flaque, T. Fernando, S.N. Yang, H.A. Sterle, M. Bolontrade, M. Amoros, B. Isse, R.N. Farias, H Ahn, H., Y.F. Tian, F. Tabbo, A Singh, G Inghirami, L Cerchietti, G.A. Cremaschi. Integrin alphavbeta3 acting as membrane receptor for thyroid hormones mediates angiogenesis in malignant T cells. Blood. 2015, 125, 841-851.
22. CW Peak, JK Carrow, A Thakur, A Singh, AK Gaharwar. Elastomeric Cell-Laden Nanocomposite Microfibers for Engineering Complex Tissues. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering. 2015, 8(3), 404-415.
21. A Singh*, N Peppas. Hydrogels and scaffolds for immunomodulation. Advanced Materials. 2014, 26(38):6530-41.
20. R Patel, A Purwada, L Cerchietti, G Inghirami, A Melnick, A Gaharwar, A Singh*. Microscale bio-adhesive hydrogel arrays for cell engineering. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering. 2014, 7(3):394-408.
Selected 2014 Young Innovator in Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
19. A Purwada, K Roy, A Singh*. Engineering Vaccines and Niches for immune Modulation. Acta Biomaterialia. 2014, 10(4):1728-40.
18. R G. Patel, A Singh*. Miniature Medicine: Nanomaterials for therapeutic delivery and cell engineering applications. IEEE Pulse March/April 2014, 10.1109/MPUL.2013.2296801 (Invited Feature Article)
17. N Joshi, N Shirsath, A Singh, K Joshi, R Banerjee. Endogenous lung surfactant inspired pH responsive nanovesicle aerosols for inhibition of pulmonary metastases. Scientific Reports. 2014, 4, Article #7085.
16. T T Lee, J Garcia, J Paez, A Singh, E A Phelps, Z Shafiq, A Shekharan, A del Campo, A J Garcia (2015). Light-triggered in vivo Activation of Adhesive Peptides Regulates Cell Adhesion, Inflammation and Vascularization of Biomaterials. Nature Materials. 2015, 14, 352-60, 2015
15. A Singh, R Agarwal, C Diaz, N J. Willett, P Wang, L. A Lee, Q Wang, R E. Guldberg, A J. García. Nano-engineered particles for enhanced intra-articular retention and delivery of proteins. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2014, 3(10):1562-7, 1525.
Selected as Journal “Frontispiece Cover Image”
14. J. G. Garcia., A Singh, A. J. Garcia. High fidelity nanopatterning of proteins onto well-defined surfaces through subtractive contact printing. Methods in Cell Biology. 2014, 119:277-92.
13. J L Wilson, S Suri, A Singh, C A Rivet, H Lu, T C McDevitt. Single-cell analysis of embryoid body heterogeneity using microfluidic trapping array. Biomedical Microdevices. 2014, 16(1):79-90.
12. A Singh, S Suri, T Lee, J M Chilton, W Chen, J Fu, S L Stice, H Lu, T C McDevitt, A J Garcia. Adhesive signature-based, label free isolation of human pluripotent stem cells. Nature Methods. 2013, 10:438-444.
Nature Materials: News and Views – Abilez, O.J. & Wu, J.C. Stem cell isolation: Differential stickiness. Nature Materials 12, 474-476 (2013).
NIH Director: Work featured in Dr. Francis Collins’ blog (May 2013) –
Physics Today: “Separating Stem Cells by Shear Forces” Phys. Today 66(5), 68 (2013) –Magazine’s back scatter cover.
National Science foundation (NSF): News from the field – Adhesive Differences Enable Separation of Stem Cells to Advance Potential Therapies (April 7, 2013)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) – Note from Paula Flicker (Program Director – Division of Cell Biology and Biophysics).
Top story in ESC & iPSC News 8.14, April 10, 2013. Featured in >20 science/news organizations.
Inside Life Science (NIGMS) – Sticky Stem Cells – Joseph Piergrossi, May 30, 2013
11. D W Dumbauld, T T Lee, A Singh, J Scrimgeour, C A Gersbach, E A Zamir, J Fu, C S Chen, J E Curtis, S Craig, A J Garcia. How vinculin regulates force transmission. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2013, 110 (24) 9788-9793
10. S Suri, A Singh, A Ngyuen, T C McDevitt, H Lu. Microfluidic-based patterning of embryonic stem cells for in vitro development studies. Lab on a Chip. 2013, 13(23):4617-24.
9. A M Bratt-Leal, A H Nguyen, K A Hammersmith, A Singh, T C McDevitt. Morphogen Delivery within Pluripotent Stem Cell Aggregates via Incorporated Microparticles. Biomaterials. 2013, 34(30):7227-35.
8. S Coyer*, A Singh* (* equal author contribution), D W. Dumbauld, D A. Calderwood, S W. Craig, E Delmarche, A J Garcia. Nanopatterning reveals an ECM area threshold for focal adhesion assembly and force transmission that is regulated by integrin activation and cytoskeleton tension. Journal of Cell Science. 2012, 125:5110-5123.
Selected as Journal “Cover Image”;
Featured Highlight: http://jcs.biologists.org/content/125/21/e2103.full
7. R Whitmire, D. S Wilson, A Singh, M Levenston, N Murthy, A García. Self-assembling nanoparticles for intra-articular delivery of anti-inflammatory proteins. Biomaterials. 2012, 33(30):7665-75.
6. A Singh, H Qin, I Fernandez, J Wei, L Jian, L W Kwak, K Roy. An injectable synthetic immune-priming center mediates efficient T-cell class switching and T-helper 1 response against B cell lymphoma. Journal of Controlled Release. 2011, 55(2): 184-192.
Selected as Journal “Cover Image”
5. S Suri, L Han, A Singh, S Chen, C Schmidt. Solid Freeform Fabrication of Designer Scaffolds of Hyaluronic Acid for Neural Tissue Engineering. Biomedical Microdevices. 2011, 13(6):983-93.
4. B Ghosn, A Singh, M Li, A V.Vlassov, N Puri, K Roy. Efficient gene silencing in lungs and liver using imidazole-modified chitosan as a nanocarrier for siRNA. Oligonucleotides. 2010, 20(3): 163-172.
3. A Singh, S Suri, K Roy. In-situ crosslinking hydrogels for combinatorial delivery of chemokines and siRNA-DNA carrying microparticles to dendritic cells. Biomaterials. 2009, 30(28), 5187-00.
2. A Singh, H Nie, B Ghosn, K Roy. SiRNA for Therapeutic Immuno-modulation: Simultaneous Delivery of Cytokine-targeted SiRNA and DNA Antigens to Dendritic Cells. NSTI Nanotech. 2008;2(4):350-35
1. A Singh, H Nie, B Ghosn, H Qin, LW Kwak, K Roy. Efficient modulation of T cell response by dual-mode, single carrier delivery of cytokine-targeted siRNA and DNA vaccine to antigen presenting cells. Molecular Therapy. 2008, 16 (12), 2011–2021
Journal Theme Editor/Book Editor
Independent Career as Faculty Member
1. A Singh, N Annabi, M Nikkhah (2018). Organoids and Organ on Chip. Biomaterials. 2018 (In Progress)
2. A Singh, K Roy (2017). Immuno-Engineering. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2017
3. A Singh, A Gaharwar (2015). Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering. Springer, 2015
Independent Career as Faculty Member
1. S Shroff, F Apoorva and A Singh*. Engineering Niches for Stem and Progenitor Cell Differentiation Into Immune Cells. Jeff Karp and Ajay Vishwakarma (ed.), Elsevier, In Press, 2017
2. F Apoorva and A Singh*. Biomaterial-Based Modulation of Cancer. Biomaterials in Regenerative Medicine and the Immune System. Laura Santambrogio (ed.), Springer, 2015, pages 171-192.
3. CW Peak, L Cross, A Singh, A Gaharwar. Microscale Technologies for Engineering Complex Tissues Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering. Springer, 2015, pages 3-25.
1. A Singh, P. Pradhan, and K. Roy (2013). Immunoengineering approaches towards combinatorial delivery of immune-modulators and antigens. Novel Immune Potentiators and next generation vaccines, Manmohan Singh (ed.), 2013, pages 161-181. Springer.
2. A Singh, K. Roy (2010). Synthetic niches for Stem Cell differentiation into T cells. Studies in Mechanobiology, Tissue engineering and Biomaterials (SMTEB), Vol.2, Krishnendu Roy (ed.) 2010, pages 225-245. Springer.
3. S Suri, A Singh, CE Schmidt (2009). Photofunctionalization of Materials to Promote Protein and Cell Interactions for Tissue-Engineering Applications. Biological Interactions on Materials Surfaces, Bizios-Pauleo (eds.) 2009, pages 225-245. Springer.Tissue Structures.